Thursday 26 March 2015

TUTORIAL: HOW TO USE THE BLACKUP CONTOURING STICK (HOLY GRAIL)

Hello beauties,

Trust you’re doing fantastic! Elections are upon us....please be wise at the polls, be safe also. Do the needful and shun violence. God bless Nigeria!
So today, I’ll be showing you how I use my contouring stick. In case you don’t know what a contouring stick is, please click here to find out…

First, I'd like to answer a popular question I have been asked since the last post by MUAs and Non-MUAs alike; “Is highlight and contour necessary every time you wear makeup?”  Now, makeup is an art and I feel it is an expression of how you feel so my answer might be different from the next person's, and it doesn't by any means suggest that I or the other person is wrong. It’s just the way it is…..

Here is my submission. When you apply foundation, I believe it gives you an all-round even finish (when done properly) on the one hand. On the other hand, it makes your face ‘flat’ or 1-dimensional. So for me, highlight and contour is necessary to bring back dimension to the face. By bringing back the highlights and the lowlights you have a more presentable and realistic finish. For this reason and others, I would say a big YES to highlight and contour……You may however tone it down for a more natural, barely-there finish, or switch things up for a more glamorous look. It all depends on you....remember it is art! On to the tutorial....








So, I started with a clean face.
Apply your desired primer and proceed to do your makeup.
You need to have a base before you can even highlight and contour.














I used my blackUp matifying foundation to perfect my skin.
I did my eyes as well.
Now, we are set to sculpt.














I pick up my contouring stick in shade 03 and I begin with the highlighting process.
















I apply the highlight product to my forehead, nose bridge, under eye area, cupid's bow and chin. Next, I use my blackUp Foundation brush and blend out the product. remember, a little goes a long way.












This is what your presentation should look like after blending. 

Blend properly guys and set the area with a setting powder of your choice.I used the Ben Nye banana powder.

Next, I apply my blackUp sublime powder in PS02 to the highlighted areas to give radiance












Next, you flip the contouring stick and using the darker product, you begin the process of contouring the face.















You apply the product to the sides of your nose, temples, hollow, jawline and sides of the chin. You can also contour your hairline if you so desire.
A quick tip is to draw the 'number 3' on the sides of the face.














Here is the side view of the face.















Using the blackUp flat top foundation brush, I blend out the contour product. 
(This brush blends like a dream)

















This is what your presentation should look like while blending



















This is what the presentation should look like when you are done blending your contour. However, you need to blend both products further to achieve a seamless finish.

















Next, I take my blackUp blush in BL 03 and apply to the apples of my cheeks.














                And this is how your features should look when the entire look is completed







 FINAL THOUGHTS

So, after trying out the contour stick for about 3 weeks, on an average of 4 times per week, here are my thoughts.

 PROS
1. Beautiful packaging.
2. Ingenious design: 2-in-1 product as opposed to carrying a palette of 'useless' shades.
3. Lightweight.
4. The contour end is absolutely amazing.
5. The result is flawless and lasts all day and won't wear off.



CONS
1. The highlight seems to always settle into fine lines and it takes a lot of effort to get it looking perfect. 
2. The contouring stick should always be kept in a cool place otherwise you run the risk of product smearing. 


In all, this is a fantastic product and it is great to have in your makeup purse for personal use. And as a pro MUA, this is a great product to invest in.Trust me, some of my other highlight and contour products have missed me since I found this true love of mine. 

Finally, if you have never tried highlight and contouring before, just know that it takes a little practice and then you are on your way to looking sculpted!!!




Till next post hunnies

11 comments:

  1. This one na long essay ooo, i cannot comprehend.Ohk, over to our makeup addicts.
    BTW first to comment. .Yaaaay!

    Bolateethole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaaha......just keep paying me to come do the slaying for you.....
      IKR @ first to comment!!! The award definitely goes to you....
      thank you for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Nice. Does it transfer and also is it oil free. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary,

      It doesn't transfer, moreso when it has been set.
      It is oil free as with all blackUp makeup.
      Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to reading your experiencewhen you do try

      Delete
  3. Nice one! Just bought mine and so fare i'm pleased...x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stella, great to have you here....I'm sure you're working on a video(actually begging you to work on one....lol).
      Good to hear you're pleased. What shade did you get?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much parfaitvisage. I've been stalking yours for years now.....lolz. Much love!!!

      Delete
  5. Tola your skin is flawless.. you need to hook me up on a good skin regime. after that has been sorted, we will move on to gettin a contouring stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wifey!!! we will chat soon, after church service....muah!!! thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Hi, I love the flawless finish. How much is it?

    ReplyDelete