Thursday 5 November 2015

GUERLAIN LIVE IN IVORY COAST

Hey loves,
How have you been? I am doing good, thanks for asking. So, as you might have guessed, yours truly has been busy(as usual), super busy, so busy, that this ‘busyness’ took me to Ivory Coast, where I went to facilitate a makeup training.  I was away for about a week and I was in the company of Charlotte; a beautiful strong oyinbo geh. 
Getting to Abidjan though, the language barrier was apparent, Abidjan, next door, made me feel like an expatriate...lol. The money was another thing, let's just say I was a millionaire for a few days...lol, but it shall be permanent in Jesus' name!!!

Our mission was to train some ladies of Zino company on the Guerlain brand. Zino is a store for luxury beauty items; ranging from skin care and perfumes, to makeup. They are located at the Cap Sud Mall in Abidjan (just in case you find yourself in that part of town).

So, while Charlotte handled the skin care and fragrance aspect of the brand, I handled makeup. Skin care went well and I wish I could report more on it but I can’t, simply because everything was done in French, comprendre?  My makeup session was also interpreted by Charlotte. And I must say, irrespective of the language barrier, the girls were very enthusiastic and it made everything a lot easier.

Fatou, Sahly, Melissa were all handson
Some of the girls had never applied makeup on anyone else before and it was so thrilling to see their eagerness and wonderment at the power of makeup. They simply soaked up everything I had to impart like brand new sponges unlike lagos gehs, y'all know too much for your own good! *snorts*.....LOL



Here I was doing a simple day look. From skin care to makeup.
 The last part of the trip required Charlotte and I to go observe the girls in the store. It was so much fun for me to see them practice all they had learnt during the course of the lectures, the previous days. 
For me it was also very enlightening. I must say, Guerlain is a brand that has a lot of goodness to offer and I cannot tell you how excited I am for the new offerings that are expected to come in 2016! New Foundation Shades anyone? You heard it here first!


The girls had even started practicing on each other before we arrived. Allow me toot my own horn a bit, I am a good teacher and this just served to remove any doubts I might have had about myself.
The girls' uniform though, very african and vibrant! Charlotte really loved it.


After allowing few minutes of practice time and corrections, I took over and  did makeup on a few girls and some walk-in clients. See the pictures below

Makeup by me on cynthia. Guerlain really nailed the undertone for the foundations. If you're lucky to find your shade, you cannot go wrong. Hopefully, 2016 will usher in new shades for the rest of us.

The dark woman has only powder on by the way. And those brows were tattooed, I was impressed by how much coverage I was able to get with just powder. The Terracotta Bronzing Powder is lovely.




What I love most about these makeovers here......just powder!!!!


And of course I made friends. Will definitely be visiting soon.



Now, back to my oyinbo sisi; Charlotte….I had been itching to do her makeup and apparently she was also hoping to get some of Guerlain’s magic but our schedule was so tight that it almost looked impossible. Thank God for a small break, just after rush hour, we were able to play around a little.
I will dwell more on Charlotte’s makeover and leave some tips for working with Fair Skin; European and Caucasian skin alike. This may also apply to Mediterranean and Oriental skin as well. These tips are a mix of basic general knowledge regarding Caucasian skin, and some personal observations of mine. 
You never can tell when you might suddenly be presented with a Fair skinned sister, and God forbid that you do not know what to do! I've got you!!!





For starters, Charlotte has beautiful clear skin, and in her case, I did not need concealer at all. All I used was a dollop, the tiniest dollop of foundation. Fair skin, as I have come to notice(I have worked on quite a number, so I believe I can safely say this) doesn't need as much foundation as dark skin sometimes require. Trust me, a little goes a long way.
Before her foundation routine, I prepped her skin and did her brows.

PRODUCTS USED:
Guerlain Cleansing milk.
Guerlain Meteorite Perles.
Guerlain Eyebrow kit in 00 Universel.
Guerlain 4 Seasons Terracotta Powder.











For the brows, I simply filled them with the brow kit and highlighted them a little with Guerlain's Precious Light Rejuvenating Illuminator. 

I have come to notice that most western ladies tend to favour the full brow look, while we, Nigerian MUAs especially, tend to see it as 'bushy', but then, it is not about your preference. Remember, it is always about what the client wants, and what will look good on them. 

Personally, I believe, fuller brows look better on fair skin and I will limit the concealer and fleeky brows to my African sisters. 
That is not to say you cannot go all out on fair skin. 
This is just my observation and preference for this situation. 

PRODUCTS USED:
Guerlain Eyebrow kit in 00 Universel.
                                                                            Guerlain's Precious Light Rejuvenating Illuminator.






For Charlotte's eyes, I decided to define and open them up with a dark eyeliner. I used a brown eyeliner for the lash line and a black eyeliner, softened with a blending brush, for the waterline.

When working on fair skin, you want to be careful with using dark eyeliner, depending on the look your client wants. If they wanted a simple everyday look, a dark liner might prove to be too much. You could just use a peach toned liner or a light brown to line the eyes instead.

Dark eyeliner on fair skin, depending on how applied could easily give an oriental look(think Egyptian eyes), and that might not be what you are going for.

For the eyeshadow, I started by using the darkest shade in the 4 seasons powder for her crease, and kept the lid simple with a wash of eyeshadow.  

I have noticed that for our oyinbo sisters, flesh-toned pigments, also peaches, ivory, mauve, browns and golds, tend to work better; they are cleaner and easier, if you get my drift. You will need a good understanding of colour theory to play with colours like yellow, green, blue, red and the like. There is a lot to consider before playing with such colours; skin tone, skin undertone, eye colour, hair colour etc.
I finished off the eyes with a black mascara.

PRODUCTS USED
Guerlain water resistant eye pencil in Black Jack.
Guerlain Liquid Eyeliner.
Guerlain Ecrin 4 Couleurs in 14 Les Fauves.
Guerlain Maxi Lash Mascara.





For Charlotte's complexion, we used the Lingerie de Peau with a tiny bit of Tenue de Perfection. Remember, a little goes a long way.

I set everything with powder, then I proceeded to highlight a little with the Precious Light Rejuvenating Illumintator and the Terracotta Light Powder. I contoured with the Terracotta 4 seasons Powder. For the benefits of this powder, click here.

Remember, a person's highlight shade might be the next person's contour shade....as a rule of thumb. So just follow the rules of highlighting and contour, and you will not go wrong. Just pay attention. Next came blush and we were done

PRODUCTS USED:
Guerlain Lingerie du Peau Foundation.
Guerlain Tenue de Perfection Foundation.
Guerlain Precious Light Rejuvenating Illumintator.
Guerlain Rose Aux Joues(blush) in 06 Red Hot.







For Charlotte's lips, we decided to go with this vibrant red colour and I must say, it does suit her well and complemented her blue eyes so well.
So, more often than not, fair people tend to have thinner lips, and with little or no definition as compared to women of colour. Therefore, a lip pencil is non-negotiable.
That is not to say women of colour should skip the lip pencil altogether! we definitely benefit from lip liner but I see it more as setting boundaries for lipstick in many cases, (apart from the other benefits of keeping your lipstick in place and stopping the lippie from bleeding), while I see more of the definition come to play when I work on fair skin.

PRODUCTS USED
Guerlain Lip Pencil in 24 Rouge Dahlia
Guerlain Lip gloss in 420






For those of you who will prefer your foundation looking like you'te not wearing makeup, you would love to look natural yet flawless, Guerlain has got you!






It was a pleasure working with this strong-willed  and intelligent woman! I could almost swear she has African blood!

I hope you found this tutorial informative. Please leave your comments below, it will make me very happy to read your thoughts. I wish you a wonderful week ahead. 


Till next post hunnies....



“The diligence of a man leadeth to plenty”

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks, just checked your blog. Nice stories. Lagbaja is not playing with anybody.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting writing style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. We will keep striving to be better

      Delete
  3. OMG!!! you must be a prophet(ess), I Love youuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just relocated to spain and I got a job, i am supposed to go for trials by Monday!!! I have been a bag of nerves and anxiety........God bless you biiiiiig for these tips!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God!!!! I am so happy to read this! Don't worry about it, you will ace the test on Monday by God's grace!
      All the best in Spain..... rock hard!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Thank God I have u in my life,u make everything seem so ooo easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww Damilola, thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I love the write up! Plus you are doing a great job dear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty kat, thank you sooooo much. You know I love your work too

      Delete
  6. You are simply the best...now im sure i'll never get over this 'agelong' crush i have for you...God'll keep blessing you maami...love you bizilions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baby girl Ife. Our love will never ever die. Keep making me proud, and may God bless you too. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Wow!!! I love this. Very interesting and educating. Thanks.

    Pamscrib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I am glad you found it so.... ... #funfacts

      Delete
  8. Nice one sis, I never get bored reading ur write ups I find it very interesting and av learnt a lot. God will continue to bless u dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis from anoda momma..... Thank you soooo much.... Can't wait to see your next beat..... God bless you too

      Delete
  9. Bukolaakintewe@gmail.com5 November 2015 at 08:30

    You are a prolific blogger and writer!!!!!.... Have learnt so much. .I need to grab an oyinbo right now and slay...God bless you!!!! More knowledge in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen amen amen. Bukola, please don't go oyinbo hunting ooooo..... Hahaha. Have mercy on them....
      Thank you for your kind words, always.

      Delete
  10. I never get tired of reading your blog. U r also a fantastic trainner. God bless u sis !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for being an avid follower. God bless u indeed.

      Delete
  11. Parfait perfect visage flawlessness at its best! Thanks hun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay I'm glued! Weldone dear and congrats on your wedding. Hope bros knows just how lucky and blessed he is to have you in his life. God bless and prosper you and yours dear! Go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much for stopping by Nasirat.
      We are both blessed to have each other..... But I know he is lucky too.... *giggles*

      Delete
  13. Are You looking for Trekking in Nepal? If you haven't,

    then you're seriously missing out! Not solely is it a fine looking journey, however it additionally

    Journey Nepal Adventure Leaking. The land of the Himalayas, Nepal presents wonders that area unit

    breath-taking. From the chain of mountains landscapes to the wealthy cultural attribute, trekking in Nepal is really a wonderful deed. Visit lovely

    ethnic chain of mountains settlements and villages. visit destinations at beautiful watercourse valleys

    hard boring distinctive terrains. Walk on winding trails passing through heavenly alpine forests and

    inexperienced pastures. Trekking in the Himalayas may be a marvel that's undeniably awe-inspiring! Best Trekking in Agency Nepal holidays square measure

    fearless leisure pursuits for people that need some ‘real fun’ in their hard-earned break. Trekking and

    hiking, a journey on foot to mountainous areas are analogous to hiking, except treks cowl a bigger

    distance. The Kingdom of Nepal offers a spread of each technical and nontechnical walks across its

    fantastically numerous tract. because of its growing quality among hikers and trekkers, the Kingdom of

    Nepal at this time is witnessing a
    boom within the business enterprise trade for trekking and hiking. The Journey Nepal Adventure is Small

    Business Trekking Agency in Nepal, which is Self Guide and Tour Operator has Been setting Local Running

    Trekking Company in Nepal. All Professional and

    Mountaineering Staff and well Training Base Himalayan kingdom of Nepal.Are You
    Looking For Best Trekking Agency in Nepal
    Journey Nepal Adventure Pvt. Ltd. is government

    register agency (licensed Mountain Guide team) in the Nepalese Himalayas Ranges… After working 10 years

    (since 2008) on the tough trails for several years as a mountain staff crew, and working so hard to

    develop our fluency in English languages, We became a guide in the year 2008 to 2016. We have spent the

    past 10years as a professional Himalaya
    trekking guide, working for several Popular Trekking

    Company in Nepal
    ; we have now decided to work as an independent guide and self-leading to

    provide all our
    national and international clients, who like to enjoy their Himalaya trekking holidays tour with us

    (https://www.journeynepaladv.com)

    ReplyDelete